Tuesday 8 July 2014

“The first time I saw Susie... I was lost to her. And that was that." (Cave N, 2014 in an interview for NY Times with John Wray)

“The first time I saw Susie was at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. And when she came walking in, all the things that I have obsessed over for all the years, pictures of movie stars, Jenny Agutter in the billabong, Anita Ekberg in the fountain . . . Miss World competitions, Marilyn Monroe and Jennifer Jones and Bo Derek . . . Bolshoi ballerinas and Russian gymnasts . . . the young girls at the Wangaratta pool lying on the hot concrete, all the stuff I had heard and seen and read . . . all the continuing never-ending drip-feed of erotic data . . . came together at that moment, in one great big crash bang, and I was lost to her. And that was that.”

1 comment:

  1. There are many ways in which to express love for someone. This one's is just beautfiul in its sensible brutality, bordering to moral turpitude of a, say, horny saint, or simply any other similarly seemingly incogruable conceptions, as for instance, in words of mr Waits, "a merchant when he swears" or "a lawyer when he cares"... Cave demonstrates a brutal honesty a la Baudelaire's "My Naked Heart". Just gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete